July 8, 2021
  • Homepage
  • >
  • Lawyer
  • >
  • Who Is Liable For My Slip And Fall Injuries on Public Property?

Who Is Liable For My Slip And Fall Injuries on Public Property?

  • by Marston Pickworth
  • 28 Days ago
  • Comments Off

Accidents can happen anywhere. Slip and fall accidents are the most commonly reported accidents after car crashes. You can slip and fall on public or government property such as a hospital, the airport, etc. If you slip and fall in such places, is it the government entity managing that property responsible for your injuries and other damages?

The answer depends on whether the government entity was negligent in its mandate to maintain and manage the property.  However, there are certain crucial limitations on the injured victim’s right to sue. One point to remember is that the federal, state and local governments have specific laws with strict procedural requirements for injury victims filing a suit against them. Here’s what you need to know about filing a slip and fall accident against the government.

You Must Prove That The Government Entity Was Negligent

Like a premise liability case involving a private property owner, the same elements apply in a premise liability case against a government entity. An experienced slip and fall lawyer will be able to prove that the government entity or its employee was negligent andthat you suffered injuries as a result of that negligence. Negligence is proved if the authority failed to fulfill its duty to keep the premises safe. If you can prove that it knew of the existing unsafe conditions and was unable to take the necessary actions to keep the place safe, then you may have a strong case.

Procedures For Filing A Claim Against The Liable Government Entity

The first requirement for filing a lawsuit against the responsible government entity (federal, state, local, etc.) is by filing a notice of injury with another government entity. You’ll be required to file the notice with your name, address, a summary of the accident, and the circumstances that caused the accident. You should also include a statement on how the agency’s negligence caused the accident, a description of your injuries, your medical expenses, and financial losses. Be sure that you understand which agency you’re up against and send the notice within the stipulated 30 days to avoid losing your chance to sue. If you don’t know where to start, you can always seek assistance from a slip and fall lawyer.

Whether it’s a federal, state, or county government entity, the deadline for submitting this notice is typically 30 days. You may go ahead to file a personal injury claim after notifying the liable plaintiff and giving it sufficient time to acknowledge or refute the claims. Finally, there’s a statutory limit on the amount of compensation you may be awarded if your claim is successful.

What To Do After a Slip and Fall on Government Property

Following a slip and fall accident, it’s good to have some pieces of evidence that will validate your claim.  You may take pictures and videos of the accident scene, your injuries, clothes, and other vital details that might count. A picture is always worth a thousand words and can significantly strengthen your slip and fall case. Uneven sidewalks or broken stairs can be fixed. Ice can be cleared away, or it can melt.  Crucial evidence can be erased in a short time. Photographic evidence can help you win an otherwise tricky case, so always ensure you have the proper evidence.  Finally, get the best legal representation to help you hold the negligent entity accountable for your injuries.

  • facebook
  • googleplus
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • linkedin
Previous «
Next »