The aftermath of a car accident in which you suffered injuries should be when you concentrate on getting the medical care and rest you need to make a full recovery. The last thing you want is to be fighting with a claims adjuster trying to get the insurance company for the party who caused the crash to pay your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. Meanwhile, the time limit North Carolina sets for filing a lawsuit for personal injuries and property damage began counting down at the moment of the accident.
It takes only a phone call to get an experienced car accident lawyer from the Law Firm, PLLC, to aggressively fight for you and protect your right to receive the compensation you deserve. Making that call immediately after being seen by your doctor allows your lawyer to get started right away on your car accident claim.
Steps To Take After A Car Accident To Protect Your Right To Compensation
What you say and do in the minutes and hours after a car accident has an impact on your ability to make a car accident claim against the person or company at fault in causing the crash. Steps to take include the following:
- Stop And Remain At The Scene: Leaving the scene of an accident may subject you to criminal charges.
- Check Yourself For Injuries: Do not move around or attempt to get out of your vehicle until you determine whether you suffered injuries. Moving around could make an injury worse, so it is better to remain in your vehicle until emergency personnel arrives.
- Call The Police: Call 911 to report the collision or ask someone to do it for you.
- Document The Accident: If physically able to do so, take photos of the accident scene, including the vehicles. Ask someone to do it for you in the event your injuries prevent you from doing it.
- Get Medical Treatment: Depending on the severity of the injuries, paramedics may transport you to the hospital by ambulance, but if they do not, you should arrange to be seen by your own doctor as soon as possible after the accident.
After seeing a doctor and before talking to insurance companies about the accident, call a car accident lawyer.
When To Call A Lawyer
You should call a lawyer for legal advice after a car accident whenever you suffer injuries. An injury that you believe to be minor may develop into something more serious hours or even days after an accident. For example, an injury to your neck, which people commonly refer to as whiplash, may start as minor pain and discomfort and develop into a disabling condition that could prevent you from working or going about your normal activities. A lawyer will advise you about how to protect and preserve your right to compensation should your “minor” injury turn into something more severe.
Call A Car Accident Lawyer
When you suffer injuries and need advice about a car accident claim, call an experienced car accident lawyer at the Law Firm instead of relying on random results from a Google search for a “car accident lawyer near me.” We offer a free consultation and car accident case review.
Francis Babet loves pursuing excellence through writing and has a passion for Legal. He currently writes for The Clauson law Firm, a USA Based Law Firm that provides SSD, SSI, SSDI, Personal Injury, and Drugs and Devices. His work has been published on various sites related to Social Security Disability, Supplemental Security Income and more.