If you sustained injuries in an accident in California that wasn’t your fault, such as a car accident or due to medical malpractice, you should consider seeking legal help. California is an at-fault state, which means that the party responsible for your losses and injuries is liable to pay compensation. Personal injury claims and lawsuits are often complicated, and without an attorney on your side, you may miss valuable evidence. Working with known names, such as Kalfayan Merjanian, LLP California trial attorneys, can help your case considerably. If you still have your doubts about selecting an attorney, we have a few tips below for help.
When should you consult an attorney?
Hiring an attorney is beneficial for almost all injury cases and lawsuits. However, there are some circumstances when legal representation matters.
Call a lawyer, if –
- You are partly at fault for the accident
- The insurance company has contacted you with a low settlement
- If the accident involved a government vehicle or entity
- There were multiple parties at fault
- Your injuries are permanent or can impact your life
Finding the right lawyer
- Firstly, look for reliable names. Almost all big law firms in California have websites, and you can find details of their attorneys online. You can also check websites like Nolo or Avvo for help. Google can also offer listings with a quick search. If you know people who have worked with attorneys in the past, ask for references.
- Next, check the experience of the lawyer. As we mentioned earlier, PI cases are usually complex, although most of them are settled outside of court. The experience of the attorney is the most relevant aspect to consider. Make sure that the lawyer you choose has experience in negotiations and trials.
- Ask about the fee. Most lawyers take a contingency fee for PI lawsuits and claims in California. The fee may vary but doesn’t exceed 40%, even with the best lawyers. The fee is only payable when the lawyer wins a settlement for you.
- Ask about the claim. How much should you realistically expect in a settlement? While lawyers cannot guarantee an outcome, they can predict an overview of the case based on evidence. Ensure that the case is worth fighting for.
The best attorneys in California are the ones who will fight tooth and nail to get the compensation you deserve. Don’t delay seeking legal help because you have limited time to file a lawsuit.